Hannah Ruth

Hannah Ruth by Slidely Slideshow

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My Grandpa, Papito



My Grandpa, Papito, had a stroke about 2 weeks ago. It was scarry but there was some hope for a good recovery. He was in the hospital and very upbeat in spirits, and talked all day long. It was something to worry about, but nothing too bad. Then over the weekend something happened and he got really worse. Now he's not really talking and different organs are starting to fail in his body. Its super sad! Kc, Owen, Alyssa, Tyler, and I drove down to AZ last wednesday to see him. It was a very last minute decision (We decided at about 10 that we were going and it took until midnight to decide how we would get there).

The drive went well but Owen certainly doesn't like to sit contained for 12 hours. Poor Kiddo. The drive back was better, though, because we bought a DVD player for the car and that helped to entertain him.

But we went and visited Papito on our way into town. He could open his eyes for a little bit at a time, and he recognized who me and alyssa were. The rest of the week, though, he couldn't get his eyes open. He could understand us sometimes, he'd squeeze our hand to let us know he could understand. But the whole time I was there with him I just kept thinking, I cant believe he is in here right now.

My Papito was always a strong, built man who kinda seemed like nothing could happen to him. He was a very athletic person his whole life and loved being outdoors camping or hunting. To see him in the hospital bed so helpless was really hard. I wish I could still be there with him.

Well, I'm glad my dad is there to be with him and to take care of my grandma Nannie, and I'm glad my mom is able to take care of things at home with everyone there. I just wanted to write a little about my Papito and say "I love you Papito". I'm so glad we were able to spend some quality time with him this winter.

3 comments:

Alyssa and Tyler said...

You're lucky you got that picture with Owen and Papito

Megan and Jordan said...

How's your Papito doing now? I'm so sad for you.

jandbfillmore said...

What a neat thing that your Papito recognized you and Alyssa. That's not always the case (even with their own children)! So glad you guys drove down and glad you bought the DVD player for the way back :) smart smart parents!!

Owen singing Hey Soul Sister

Owen singing Somebody that I used to Know